Meeting Minutes

Minutes from past meetings.

July 9 – Meeting Minutes

Lake St. Lawrence Yacht Club Meeting Notes

July 9, 2019

Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm, location: Lake St. Lawrence Yacht Club 

Roll call Board members present: Commodore Brian Fent , Vice Commodore  Matt Beard, Past Commodore Julia LaShomb , Rear Commodore Tom Lazore, Secretary Monica McLaughlin, Treasurer Karin Carney, Trustee Jay Delisle  

Members present: Josh McLear, Mike and Deb Kormonos, Paul Carney, Jeremy Earl, Bob Jarvis, John Meddings, and Francois Simard.

Officer Reports:

Commodore Brian Fent: Welcomed everyone. The gate is fixed. Thank You Paul Carney, Brian Femt, and John Meddings.The pressure treated lumber is here. Thank You Shanon Prentice. We are replacing the fire pit blocks.  Shanon Prentice is in the process of setting this up. MED replaced the light at the gate. The LSLYC needs to fix the rest. Any electrician in the club? If not we will have to hire the job out. June opening dinner was a success. Thank You to all who contributed. Clearing the vegetation on the berm was done by Bill Smith, Thank You. 

Vice Commodore Matt Beard Rear Commodore: Agreed lights need to be fixed and  the road entering the club. 

Rear Commodore Tom Lazore: There are 

still some docks available. 

Past Commodore Julia Lashomb: reported there has been no news from the NYPA about improvements to the  LSLYC

Secretary Monica McLaughlin: A few minutes were taken for members to read through minutes. The minutes will be available online for the upcoming meeting so that members may view them before the meeting. (Thanks Josh McLear). Motion to accept minutes after corrections were made was given by Karen  Carney and seconded by Tom Lazore.

Treasurer Report:  Karen Carney read the treasury report. Karen will coordinate with Josh McLear so a master list of members of  LSLYC will be created and we have an exact number of members. Motion to accept the treasurer's report was given by Matt Beard. Seconded by  Julia Lashomb 

Old Business: 

  • The remaining tasks will be reposted on the LSLYC web page, and a list will also be posted at the Yacht Club after an update has been made. 
  • Channel Marker have not been placed due to unforeseen circumstances. 
  • The “Gate Rules” have been posted online. They will remain in effect for the remainder of the 2019 season. Karen has been in contact with various locksmith.  A decision will be made in the near future on how to proceed, new rules will be created/revised and in place at the beginning of the 2020 boating season. Also discussed asking members to donate their deposit toward a new lock , selling old lock to help pay for a new one. Karen was also able to get the keys back from members who have left the club. 
  • The 60th LSLYC committee led by Barb Pichette and Sue Smith will: need a budget, for example budget $15 dollars per person then if it is more each member attending would pay the difference. (suggested by John Medding ), establish if there is an interest from club members to have a celebration, how entailed the celebration should be, for ex. hold an open house, have a cookout, have a pig roast etc.,  Info about the past 50th anniversary will be shared to help establish a plan, and remember to invite past members. Also renting porta potties for that day was suggested
  • A suggestion box was created and is set up inside the club house for suggestions/ideas (Thank you Mike Kormanyos). Only board members will view suggestions. On online suggestion box will also be created (thank you Josh McLear)
  • The following are comments from members on social activities. This was done by request of Brian Fent our Commodore through the LSLYC web page. (6 people responded to survey)
    • Game night - cards, chess, trivial pursuit with teams, etc.
    • BBQ’s
    • Corn Hole Tournament
    • Junior Sailing Day (Those with sailboats could take kids and/or adults for a mini educational ride especially if they have never sailed and may have an interest in sailing.
    • Bonfire with a band 
    • Lawn game tournament day (i.e. Badminton, ladder ball, horse shoe, etc.
    • Invite a Friend/Family Day (have a band, blow-ups for kids, in-law brewing, etc.)This would help with advertising our club and potentially increasing membership in the future.
    • Fundraising to replace swing set with Boat swing set from Adirondack Storage Barn. Sell our logo on merchandise where we grab a portion of the sales. I know this has been done in the past, but we have room for improvement. We could offer the logo to be put on hats, shirts, quarter zips similar to how local teams offer their merchandise, You choose what you want the logo to be placed on. We could offer floating keychains, koozies, thermos etc.
    • Happy hour or BBQ afternoon would be nice
    • I hope this is some incentive for members to voice their opinion but at the same time remember it is not a cheap marina but a club of like minded people that love and respect the river and want to pass those values onto their family.
    • I would like to see more social events too. Club picnic would be great.
    • Due to my schedule I’m not interested in any social activities at this time. In future if my work days change I would be.
    • Friday night gathering at 5:00pm at the club will be reinstated. An announcement via email will go out to members. All are welcome, rain or shine.

 

  • Membership application and procedure is running into a few hiccups. The process was revisited and procedure was read during the meeting by Josh McLear. We have new members and there have been changes to the process (trying to do more on line to speed up the process, and make it more efficient. The kinks are being worked out. Please be patient and come forward with your concerns. 
  • There was some confusion to dock assignments for Tom Lazore and P Oaks.  Tom Lazore recused himself from this discussion as he is thee Rear Commodore. A decision was made after revisiting the by-laws for the club. A suggestion was made that each slip should be assigned a boat length to eliminate confusion. Brian Fent will contact Paul Oaks about the issue.

New Business:

  • Still need at least three members to help in audit of club funds at the end of the season. John Medding, and Fred Mclaughlin volunteered to do this. 
  • Mike Kormanyos mentioned that we are in need of new parts to repair the hardware on the docks, more augers; Mike will make a list and send to John; Julia will find dock plans and share with members; John Medding is in the process of coming up with a list with prices of what we need to purchase; Matt Beard suggested a work day, “If we have the supplies the work gets done.”; the main dock is moving, pins and hardware are old and wearing out; use metal straps to secure floats (suggested by Josh McLear); remind members to remove their cleats and other articles that they have attached to their docks before docks out and winter storage; buy new docks was suggested by a brave soul. The room went quiet and everyone chuckled.
  • There seems to be a racoon problem in the club house. A live trap was set up in the rafters. 
  • A notice of a parking issue was discussed. Parking regulations should be revisited. It was suggested that if you are leaving your vehicle and trailer for day use please park vehicle and attached trailer farther down the road way toward Rt. 131 this will allow for more parking for members and not  block trailer access to other members. There are still two or three areas to park trailers on the left near to the club house, they are for trailers, they are overgrown and need clearing. 
  • Motion to adjourn by  Julia Lashomb, second by Matt  Beard 

Next meeting: August 13 , 2019



Annual Meeting Minutes – March 28, 2017

Lake St. Lawrence Yacht Club Annual Meeting (Town Hall Massena-Rm 27) April 28, 2017 Board Members: Doug Dilcox, John Meddings, Joseph Brown, Shannon Prentice and Josh Mclear (Chris Hooper absent)
  • 6:05PM Meeting called to order by Commodore Meddings. -10 club members present
  • OLD Business: -old minutes from meeting not read, Secretary Hooper not present
  • NEW Business: -Treasurer report from Dilcox reports beginning balance for 2016 was $11,514.40 and ending balance for 2016 is $14,143.22.
  • Dilcox reports that lawn mowing expense was down for 2016 due to decreased cost by new mowing service.
  • Dilcox report paying sales tax for 2016 -Budget presented to Board and Members present.
  • Motion made by Brown and second by club member Cook to accept 2017 Budget.  Budget passed.
  • Discussion regarding application for Jayden Pernice that was voted on last year and accepted at end of boating season.  Dilcox will send bill and welcome letter to Pernice regarding his membership.
  • NEW application for Bill Siddon to join the club.  Application sponsored by Nate Pichette and Tony O’Geen.  Discussion by board and his application is accepted. He will be sent a welcome letter and bill for dues for membership.
  • Proposed tentative dates for opening of club and club functions for 2017 presented by Josh McLear.
  • Discussion regarding 2017 Board of Directors.  Dilcox would like to resign his position as club treasurer.  Board recognizes his long standing dedication to this position. Brown polled members present if anyone would like to join the board this year.   Julie Lashomb indicated that she would perform secretary position if needed.  Brown made proposal to have the treasurer position compensated with dues being paid for 2017 for that board position if anyone wishing to fill it this year.  Discussion with board and members present with no one seconding the proposal.
  • After more discussion the 2017 LSLYC Board of Directors is as follows:
    • Commodore: Josh McLear
    • Vice Commodore: Shannon Prentice
    • Rear Commodore: John Meddings
    • Secretary: Julie Lashomb
    • Treasurer: Doug Dilcox
    • Director: Chris Hooper
    • Director: Brian Fent
  • Meeting ended at 6:55PM, motion by Brown, second by Doug Dilcox.